The Mission of Hope
- Where have all the ‘Mother Teresas’ gone?
- Are there no more Francis of Assisis’?
- No more Billy Grahams?
- Can we not see our Nation and our World in crisis? Wars all over the globe? Power brokers in every corner of the earth? Souls void, empty of caring and feeling, cutting off heads, bombing innocents to present their robotic and Satanic message of doom, laughing at their livid liquidation?
- Where did Love go?
- Where did Faith go?
- This is a Sunday of reflection for me on the life of one of ‘God’s Ambassadors’, Billy Graham, a man who found God early and never wavered from his Biblical message of Faith and Hope:
- “I have one message: that Jesus Christ came, he died on a cross, he rose again, and he asked us to repent of our sins and receive him by faith as Lord and Savior, and if we do, we have forgiveness of all of our sins.”
- Billy also believed at our earthly ending our journey was only beginning.
- I prefer to believe that, despite much of my own life spent in playgrounds of ‘lotus eaters’, chasing ‘white buffaloes’, a cute euphemism for searching in the wrong places for love and family. While at times a dashing life of lovely ladies and booze, actually enjoying that playground, falling in and out of love, I had those days of sad Appalachian regrets, feeling those soul-stabs of remorse and loss, betraying my Bible-Belt inheritance.
- In no way am I made of the ‘Saintly Stuff’ of Billy and his good son, Franklin, but I still cling to my fragile Faith and believe that this mortal residence leads to something far greater for those of Faith, for those who allow some Biblical relevance to why we are here. This might seem too adolescent to some of little or no faith, but I figure it this way:
- It seems to me the order in our Universe is too precise to have come from a ‘big blast’. The orbital and angular journey of our planet that bring us days, nights, Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer, beautiful sunrises, sunsets, rain and snow, all say to me a divine intelligence is at work.
- If more is needed, consider the magical miracle of birth, that intricate and precise time-table of growth inside a mother’s womb.
- Consider the creation of a painting by an artist who has just witnessed stars shooting across the sky, a sunset with a big bright orange globe falling off our horizons, a woman so dazzling in her beauty we call her Madonna.
- Consider the Bible, words and phrases we don’t always understand, yet a history given to us by the Prophets and Scholars through Time.
- Most of all, consider your Love for your wife, children, your sweetheart, grandfather, grandmother, all representing our passage and moments in Time.
- That’s what makes my opening so compelling and resonant. My thoughts might seem anachronistic to the new generation, and, throughout history we have faced similar holocaust-like events (Terrorism, Wars, Self-Doubts, Faith and Soul), and we somehow make it to the next generations.
- Okay, I’ve had my say, all words fueled by the news of the days… And, really, I’m an upbeat kind of guy, calm, nice…
- I just won’t watch the stupid news!
- Billy Ray Chitwood – February 25, 2018
- Please Preview my books, some of my books’ reviews, and ‘About Me’ at:
- Please follow my Blog at:
- Please Follow me on Twitter:
2 thoughts on “Mission of Hope”
Well said! I have to agree I am much better off when I only watch the news to catch the weather:)
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks, dear DL, for your comment. All the best to you and yours…. ♥
LikeLiked by 1 person